Woman murdered as police listened on phone

Author thumbnail
Meritxell Mir - [email protected]
Woman murdered as police listened on phone

The trial has begun in Lausanne of a man who stabbed his wife 35 times and slit her throat, just moments after she had called the police to report a suspected case of domestic violence next door.


Her blood-curdling screams could be heard in the court room on Tuesday as a recording of her phone call to the police was played back on the first day of the trial.

On July 2nd 2010 the victim, a Moroccan woman, asked the officer on the other end of the line to hold for a moment as she went to check the number of her neighbour’s flat, newspaper Le Temps reports,

But when she left the phone she instead came face to face with her husband, also a Moroccan, despite a barring order that prohibited him from coming to her flat.

“Someone help me. I need help,” were the victim's last words on the police recording.

As the woman was in her death throes, her husband's voice could be heard saying: "Die quietly and you will be able to see the man I am."

The brutal killing took place in front of the couple’s 10-month-old daughter.

The man then got into the elevator with the baby and called the police to announce he had killed his wife.

When the judge asked for an explanation, the defendant said he had wanted them to stay together but “things got out hand.”

The victim's neighbours remembered how happy she was when she met her husband during a trip to Morocco. They married in April 2009, and their daughter was born shortly after.

“She was proud of his efforts to reunite the family and was glad he came to Switzerland,” a neighbour said.



Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also