Avalanche storms Davos tooth-brusher
A roof avalanche in Davos ripped through the ceiling of an apartment building almost killing one tenant.
A 25-year-old chef, Dominik Bauhart, suffered severe shock when a roof avalanche crashed in on him in his apartment bathroom while he was brushing his teeth, online news website Blick reported.
The dome-shaped roof, made of Plexiglas and bullet-proof glass, was not strong enough to hold the weight of the snow that had built up on top of it, and finally gave way.
“I already knew the sound,” Bauhart told the website. A few days earlier, an avalanche from a neighbouring roof had rocked the building as it came plunging down.
Upon hearing a loud noise, Bauhart withdrew quickly from the bathroom. Moments later, he looked through a crack in the door to reveal a pile of snow, with glass covering the floor.
“Shards of glass hit me on the shoulder and hand,” he said.
But the drama was not over. Five minutes after the roof collapsed, icicles rained through the gap.
“I would have been almost killed, twice,” Bauhart told the news website, adding he was furious with the landlord.
“This is negligence, the roof was not secured properly. Three years ago, the same thing happened.”
For now, Bauhart has a make-shift roof, but nevertheless, he still will not get into the bath tub for fear of another avalanche.
Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please log in here to leave a comment.