Swiss climber missing in Pakistan

Three climbers -- a Swiss, an Austrian and a Pakistani -- have gone missing during an expedition to the highest peak in the Karakoram range on the Pakistan-China border, a tour operator said on Tuesday.

Colonel Sher Khan, a Pakistani mountaineering expert who is close to the military’s rescue team, said bad weather was hampering the helicopter flights.

“I am in touch with the pilots, they told me they are ready with equipment and porters but the weather is very bad and the helicopters can not take off,” Khan told AFP.

The climbers went missing four days ago, after setting off on their final assault of Gasherbrum-1, the 8,048 metre high peak in the Karakoram range, also known as “Hidden Peak”.

“There is no word” from the team leader Gerfried Goschl of Austria, Swiss climber Cedric Hahlen and a Pakistani high altitude porter Nisar Hussain, said Mohammad Ali, spokesman for the tour operator, Adventure Pakistan.

“I hope and pray they are safe,” Ali told AFP.

The missing climbers were members of the Austrian winter expedition team, Ali said. On Friday at around 8am they left their camp located at some 7,000 metres, and began their ascent to Gasherbrum-1.

There has been no contact with the climbers since this time.

“I think they did not reach the summit,” Khan said, who scaled Mount Everest in 1997. “Strong winds may have blown them away. I am saying this on the basis of my experience.”

The climbers had taken a new route from the south-western ridge, while another group from Poland had already succeeded via the normal northern route, he said.

However, Khan added that the Polish climbers were at base camp and suffering from severe frost bite. “They have to be evacuated as soon as the weather improves,” he said.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Swiss refuse graft probe of Pakistan’s leader

Swiss prosecutors announced Friday that they had refused to reopen a probe into alleged corruption in the 1990s by current Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari and his late wife Benazir Bhutto.

Swiss refuse graft probe of Pakistan's leader
Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari. Photo: AFP

Prosecutors in Geneva said that the decision was taken on February 4 this year, and that they had only opted to make it public as a result of street protests in Pakistan.

They declined to comment in detail, but the Swiss news portal published photographs of anti-Zardari protestors burning Switzerland's flag at a rally in Pakistan.

Zardari and Bhutto were alleged to have siphoned $12 million in state cash in the 1990s, when he was a government minister and she was premier.

Bhutto lost office in 1996, and a year later Pakistan made a formal request for Swiss legal help in a probe of the couple and Bhutto's mother Nusrat Bhutto.

Bhutto went into self-imposed exile in the United Arab Emirates in 1997, returning in 2007, only to be assassinated in a bomb attack on an election rally the same year.

Weeks before Bhutto was killed, Pakistan had withdrawn its request for help from the Swiss, and Geneva investigators formally closed their side of the probe in 2008.

Zardari, meanwhile, was arrested in Pakistan on graft charges after his wife's government fell, before being freed in 2004, going into exile in the United Arab Emirates, then returning after Bhutto's death.

He was elected president in 2008.

In November 2012, however, Pakistan's government renewed its request for Swiss legal assistance after being ordered to do so by its own supreme court.

Geneva prosecutors underlined Friday that no new evidence had emerged since the case was dropped in 2008, meaning they could not reopen the investigation.

In addition, the fact that the alleged offences took place more than 15 years ago meant that the statute of limitations had expired, they said.

They also complained about mixed messages from Pakistan.

Just a month after filing the renewed request, Pakistan sent them a letter stating that the call for a revived probe was linked to domestic politics and that there was no need to heed it.

That amounted to abuse of the legal system, prosecutors said.