Missing hiker found alive after three days

A 33-year-old German woman who was injured while hiking in eastern Switzerland has been found alive after three days in the wilderness.


Mandy Reichert had been missing for three days after she fell and injured herself hiking in Wasserauen in the canton of Appenzell Innerrhoden, online news site 20 Minuten reported.

At approximately 4 o’clock on Sunday, she called for help, explaining that she had fallen and hurt herself. She was however unable to properly describe where she was, and even mobile technology was unable to pinpoint her exact location

Rescue services scoured the area with helicopters and dogs but remained unsuccessful until a team made up of members of the fire brigade, police force and Alpine Rescue Switzerland finally located her on Wednesday.

“She was in a very steep, slippery and inaccessible place,” police spokesman, Roland Koster, told 20 Minuten.

Reichert was only a few hundred metres from the train station when she slipped off the track and fell some way down a steep slope.

She was rescued by the Swiss air ambulance service, Rega, with rescue workers winching her to safety before flying her to hospital.

She managed to survive by drinking melted snow and nibbling on some bread that she had with her.

It is as yet unclear whether she has sustained any permanent damage but the hospital has confirmed that she is out of danger.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Mushroom picker finds remains of missing German

A two-year-old missing person case has finally been solved.

Mushroom picker finds remains of missing German
The Kronberg mountain. Photo: Ramessos/Wikimedia Commons
Police in the canton of Appenzell Innerhoden were alerted back in May 2015 that a German man from the Lake Constance area had gone missing. 
Searches undertaken at the time proved fruitless.
However in the middle of October human remains were found by mushroom pickers in a dense piece of woodland in the Jakobsbad area, cantonal police said in a statement on Friday.
Forensic examinations revealed that the remains were that of the missing 47-year-old. 
He is thought to have gone for a hike alone in the Jakobsbad-Kronberg area.