One person was treated after inhaling a gas that emanated from the basement of the consumer goods company’s offices in the Geneva suburb of Petit Lancy, according to an online report from 20 Minutes.
“Two products had been mixed by accident in the basement of the building,” Nicolas Schumacher, captain of the Geneva fire and rescue service (SIS), told the newspaper.
“The chemical reaction generated gaseous chlorine.”
SIS officials ordered the complete evacuation of the offices, which were emptied by 4.15pm.
Workers were not allowed to return to the building as fire fighters worked to neutralize the chemicals.