• Switzerland's news in English
Fifa suspends Blatter's right-hand man
Valcke (right) and Blatter in happier times. Photo: AFP

Fifa suspends Blatter's right-hand man

AFP/The Local · 18 Sep 2015, 08:51

Published: 18 Sep 2015 08:51 GMT+02:00

Facebook Twitter Google+ reddit

Valcke, the right-hand man of outgoing Fifa President Sepp Blatter, was immediately relieved of his duties on Thursday.

Valcke "has been put on leave and released from his duties effective immediately until further notice," said a Fifa statement.

"Further, Fifa has been made aware of a series of allegations involving the secretary general and has requested a formal investigation by the Fifa Ethics Committee."

The 54-year-old French official had already been forced to deny involvement in a $10-million payment to South Africa in the wake of corruption allegations that forced Blatter's resignation earlier this year.
The latest claims against Valcke related to allegations of involvement in a scam to sell World Cup tickets at vastly inflated prices and take a slice of the profits.
The claims were made by Benny Alon, an American-Israeli consultant at a company which had a deal with Fifa to sell tickets at the 2014 World Cup.

The contract was subsequently cancelled.

 'Fabricated, outrageous' 

In a strongly worded statement issued by Valcke's US-based attorney, the official decried the allegations as false.
"Jérôme Valcke unequivocally denies the fabricated and outrageous accusations by Benny Alon of alleged wrongdoing in connection with the sale of World Cup tickets," the statement from New York attorney Barry Berke said.
The statement said Valcke "never received or agreed to accept any money or anything else of value from Mr Alon."
All dealings between Valcke and Alon's company had been cleared by Fifa's legal department, the statement added.
"As has been reported, Fifa entered into an agreement with Mr Alon's company, JB Sports Marketing," the statement said.
"That agreement and Fifa's subsequent business dealings with Mr Alon were vetted and approved by Fifa and its legal counsel."
Fifa have been embroiled in a major corruption scandal since the arrest of seven of its officials on May 27th attending a Fifa congress in Zurich to elect a new president.
They are among 14 people charged by US authorities over more than $150 million in bribes given for television and marketing deals.
Despite the arrests in May the election went ahead with Blatter winning a fifth mandate although the 79-year-old then announced he would be standing down with a new election scheduled for February.

Story continues below…

Under scrutiny

Valcke came under scrutiny in recent months over what he knew about a $10 million payment from the South African FA to an account controlled by the then North and Central American (Concacaf) football chief Jack Warner through Fifa in 2008.

US investigators believe the money was a bribe in return for backing for South Africa getting the 2010 World Cup.
Fifa has insisted it only acted as an intermediary between South Africa and former Fifa vice-president Warner, who quit world football's governing body and his other functions in 2011 over other corruption allegations.
Valcke said he only knew about the payment because he receives all correspondence sent to Fifa but he did not authorize the transfer.
The French official has found himself under scrutiny during his Fifa career.
In 2006 he was forced to step down as the football body's director of marketing after a New York court judged he had lied by negotiating Fifa deals with Visa in breach of existing contracts with Mastercard.
Fifa was later fined $60 million over the case — but Valcke re-emerged unscathed several months later in June 2007 when he was installed as Secretary-General.

For more news from Switzerland, join us on Facebook and Twitter.

AFP/The Local (news@thelocal.ch)

Facebook Twitter Google+ reddit

Your comments about this article

Today's headlines
Villagers asked to help fund bridge renovations
The bridge links the two villages of Veltheim (pictured) and Holderbank. Photo: Lutz Fischer-Lamprecht

The crowdfunding campaign by the two communes is the first of its kind in Switzerland.

Police discover body buried in Orbe house
File photo: Bas Leenders

Police have opened an investigation after finding a body buried in a house in Orbe, in the canton of Vaud, on Saturday.

Valais shaken by 4.2 magnitude earthquake
The earthquake hit in the canton of Valais near Sierre. Photo: Alain Rouiller

It's the biggest earthquake to hit the country for two years.

Swiss Indoors kicks off without champ Federer
Federer celebrates with ball girls and boys after winning the event in 2015. Photo: Harold Cunningham/Pool/AFP

Stan Wawrinka is top seed as injured Federer sits it out.

IOC hires Russian doping whistleblower as consultant
IOC President Thomas Bach confirmed the news. File photo: Fabrice Coffrini/AFP

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has hired Vitaly Stepanov as a consultant and is helping his runner wife Yuliya.

‘Scary clown’ craze hits streets of Zurich
Photo: Pedro Pardo/AFP

Police in Zurich have warned so-called ‘scary clowns’ that they could face charges, following a number of incidents in the city.

VIDEO: driver chases runaway car on Swiss motorway
Image: Neuchâtel police

Shocking footage shows the moment a man dodged lorries to chase after his runaway car on a Swiss motorway.

Saas-Fee crowdfunds low-cost season ski pass
Saas-Fee is hoping to attract 99,999 season pass holders. Photo: Denis Emery/Photo-genic.ch

Skiers could get their hands on a whole season pass for just 222 francs ($223) in the Swiss resort of Saas Fee this winter – if enough people want one.

Swiss billionaire fined for dodging import tax
Urs Schwarzenbach owns the luxury Dolder Grand hotel in Zurich. Photo: Wilhem Rosenkranz

Urs Schwarzenbach faces a $4 million fine for failing to properly declare some 200 artworks imported into Switzerland.

Muslim woman wins headscarf court battle
Photo: Jack Guez / AFP

A Swiss court has ruled against a company that fired a longtime employee after she began wearing the Muslim headscarf.

Photo: Richard Juilliard/AFP
Man makes Geneva airport bomb threat ‘for a joke’
Sponsored Article
Last chance to vote absentee in the US elections
Photo: AFP
Solar Impulse team reveals plans for unmanned plane
File photo: Martin Abegglen
Swiss to vote on passport rules for 3rd gen foreigners
Photo: AFP
Swiss wingsuit hotspot Lauterbrunnen won’t impose ban
Photo: Swiss Tourism
Six reasons Switzerland isn’t as boring as you might think
Photo: Swiss Tourism
Report: Switzerland one of world’s best places for girls
Photo: The Local
Thief returns Swiss cow bells worth thousands
File photo: Wikimedia Commons
One in three rapists isn’t locked up: statistics
Photo: activistin.ch
Tampon-tax protest turns Zurich fountains red
Photo: AFP
Geneva police to lift ban on bearded officers
Photo: Marcel Gillieron/AFP
Suicide chef’s restaurant keeps Michelin stars
Photo: Lara de Salis
11 things the Swiss get tired of hearing abroad
Photo:  Ivo Scholz/Swiss-image.ch
Survey: expats in Switzerland have money but few friends
Photo: AFP
Swiss press criticize Bern’s 'capitulation' on immigration
Photo: Jura Trois Lacs tourism
German ex-policeman is Swiss city’s new hermit
Photo: Dmitry A. Mottl
Ticino votes to favour local workers over foreigners
Photo: file
Some deodorants could cause breast cancer: Swiss study
Photo: Royal Savoy
In pictures: Inside the latest Swiss luxury hotel
Photo: AFP
Geneva airport bomb hoaxer faces 90,000-franc bill
Photo: Schaffhausen police
Mother leaves toddler son alone in car to go clubbing
Photo: Fabrice Coffrini/AFP
Swiss populist attacked by knife-wielding pensioner
jobs available