Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland

Bern tells foreigners ‘integrate or lose permit’

Share this article

Bern tells foreigners ‘integrate or lose permit’
File photo: The Local
10:26 CET+01:00
Foreigners should only receive a permanent residence permit if they are well integrated in Swiss society, say MPs debating reforms to the country’s foreigners law.

Currently most foreigners arriving in Switzerland with an employment contract are granted a B permit, which has a minimum validity of one year and can be granted for five years, before most then receive a C permit, which allows long-term residency.

However in an effort to encourage the integration of foreigners politicians want to make C permits dependent on integration, news agencies reported following a parliamentary debate on Monday.

According to parliament, that means speaking a national language, respecting public order, security and national values (such as equality between men and women) and contributing to the economy or following a training course.

Foreigners who don’t respect these conditions could have their B permit revoked entirely, while those who already have a C permit could have that swapped for a temporary B if they are not yet deemed well integrated.

Those who are long-term dependent on welfare could also have their permits revoked, even if they have been in the country for 15 years.

The new rules are still to be finalized.

Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

From our sponsors

Get real-world experience while you study at EU Business School

Having relevant work experience is essential for your CV but how do you acquire it, especially when you are a student? Simple: by learning by doing as is the norm for students at EU Business School. The Local caught up with one recent graduate who has reaped the benefits of an international education at EU Business School.