Switzerland's news in English

Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland

Two die from carbon monoxide poisoning in camping trip tragedy

Share this article

Two die from carbon monoxide poisoning in camping trip tragedy
FIle photo: Baiterek_Media/Depositphotos
12:23 CET+01:00
A couple in their 30s died from carbon monoxide poisoning in their camper van in the canton of Obwalden in mid January, a public prosecutor has confirmed.
The 38-year-old man and his 34-year-old girlfriend were spending the weekend near Mörlialp in Giswil, Obwalden, reported the Luzerner Zeitung this week. 
 
Investigations suggest the pair decided to heat their campervan during the cold night by placing hot coals in a pan inside the van.
 
With the windows closed, the van quickly filled with carbon monoxide which killed the pair while they slept, according to the prosecutor. 
 
Police have found no evidence of criminality and are treating the case as a tragic accident. 
 
The bodies of the couple were found by police on January 24th after the pair failed to reappear at work that week and were traced to the campground via their mobile phones, said the paper.  
 
Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

From our sponsors

How to work 9-5 and travel the rest of the time

A full-time job shouldn't stop you from satisfying your wanderlust. The Local spoke to Travel After 5 blogger Alline Waldhelm to find out her tips and tricks for travellers who only have 25 days of annual leave.