For members


Swiss bureaucracy: Eight essential documents you need to know about

From residence permits to health insurance cards, we look at the documents that every foreigner in Switzerland must be aware of.

Swiss bureaucracy: Eight essential documents you need to know about
File photo: Depositphotos

Switzerland’s love of paperwork is legendary. Even if you want to complain about the amount of paperwork, you’ll probably have to fill in a form to do so. 

The following eight documents are absolutely essential for life in Switzerland, whether you are visiting a friend or planning to retire. 

Here’s what you need to know. 

Coronavirus: The form you need to enter Switzerland

From Monday, February 8th, 2021, almost everyone entering Switzerland will need to fill out a form. 

Almost everyone who enters Switzerland must fill out the entry form online. 

Once this is done, you will receive a QR code which you should show at immigration and passport control if asked.

You can find the form in English here

Some travellers are exempted from this requirement.

They include people entering from France, Germany, Italy and Austria, as long as they are not travelling by air.

This also includes cross-border workers.

More information is available at the following link. 

Coronavirus: Here is the form you need to enter Switzerland

Health insurance card

All residents of Switzerland must take out private health insurance from one of 60 government approved-providers within three months of arriving in the country. Basic insurance covers a wide range of services.

Your insurance provider will provide you with a micro-chipped card containing your policy number, your old age insurance system number (see below), your date of birth and an expiry date. Carry this whenever you have a medical appointment and when you travel overseas.

For more information on the Swiss compulsory health insurance system, see the following link, or visit the Federal Office of Public Health website here.

READ MORE: Everything you need to know about Switzerland’s healthcare system

Residence/work permit

This document is probably the single most important one on our list here. If you are a resident of Switzerland, you will need to have one of these permits.

The sort of permit you have, what it entitles you to, and how long it allows you to live in Switzerland will depend on your job situation in Switzerland as well as where you come from.

Resident of Switzerland must hold a valid permit. Image: Depositphotos

Put simply, there are different rules and permits for citizens of the European Union and the European Free Trade Association, and for citizens of all other countries.

The first group have easier access to the Swiss job market thanks to the 2002 EU–Swiss bilateral Agreement on the Free Movement of Persons. Meanwhile, only a limited number of permits for highly-qualified and management-level staff are available to people from non-EU and EFTA countries.

EXPLAINED: What non-EU nationals (including Britons) need to know about Swiss work permits?

For EU and EFTA citizens, the main permits are the B residence permit (which lasts five years if you have a work contract of at least 12 months, or a permanent position), the L residence permit, for positions up to a year, and the C settlement permit, which allows EU/EFTA citizens who have been resident in Switzerland for five or ten years to remain in Switzerland indefinitely.

For more information on work and residence permits for EU and EFTA citizens see the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs website here.

For people from outside the EU and EFTA, the breakdown is as follows: L permit (valid for a year, or 24 months in exceptional circumstances); B permit (valid for one year and then renewable yearly in most cases, with the permit tied to both your employer and canton); and C permit, or permanent residence permit. For more information see the State Secretariat for Migration website here.

Old age insurance (pension) card

This rather grim looking card (with a strip of grey across the top) is confirmation that you are registered with the Swiss old age insurance system (OASI; AHV in German; AVS in French and Italian). It includes your name, date of birth and your 13-digit OASI number.

Swiss people are among the world’s longest-living. Image: Depositphotos

The OASI is the so-called ‘first pillar’ of the Swiss old age pension scheme and is compulsory, with both employees and employers contributing to the scheme. Employer contributions are taken directly from your salary. 

For more information about Swiss retirement insurance, see the Federal Social Insurance Office website here.

If you lose this OASI card, don’t worry: your pension benefits won’t be affected. And if you need your number, check your health insurance card (see above).

Driver’s licence

You can use your licence from your home country for up to 12 months in Switzerland as long as you are aged 18 and over. You’ll also need an international driving permit if the original is not in the Roman alphabet.

You may need to do a driving test to get a Swiss licence. Image: Depositphotos

After 12 months, however, you will need to exchange your licence for a Swiss one. EU and EFTA nationals do not need to take either a theoretical or a practical test to get their licence converted (although you may need to get your vision checked by an optometrist).

EXPLAINED: How to change over to a Swiss driver’s licence

Depending on place of residence, nationals of other countries may be exempt from both tests, or may need to take either a practical or theoretical test or both.

For more information, see the Swiss authorities online website here.

Extract from the debt collection register

This document provides details on debts owed by individuals. It is little different from the others on the list because you are unlikely to actually have access to it as a foreigner living in Switzerland. However, you may well come across it.

READ MORE: Top ten tips for finding an apartment in Switzerland

For example, if you are looking for an apartment in Switzerland, you are likely to find yourself being asked for this item of paperwork (in German – Betreibungsregisterauszug; French – extrait du registre des poursuites; Italian).

For Swiss nationals, providing this document is essential when it comes to being able to rent. However, for foreigners in Switzerland, a work contract outlining how much you earn is considered a valid alternative by real estate agents.

Criminal records extract

You may need to provide a criminal records extract (German – Strafregisterauszug; French – Extrait du casier judiciaire; Italian – Estratto del casellario giudiziale) when applying for some jobs or for Swiss citizenship. For information on how to order an extract, see the Federal Office of Justice website here.

Read also: How to apply for Swiss citizenship in 2018

Swiss public transport travelcard

If you plan to travel on public transport regular for work or leisure, you’ll probably want to get a travelcard from the SBB (CFF in French; FFS in Italian).

The most popular travelcards are the GA travelcard (which allows unlimited travel on the Swiss public transport network for 3,860 francs a year for second-class travel or 6,300 francs a year for first-class travel) and the half-fare travelcard which gives you 50 percent off on all tickets and costs 185 Swiss francs for the first year, and the 165 francs if you renew for a second year. Cheaper options are available for younger travellers. Read more here.

If you lose your travelcard, or it gets damaged, you can get it replaced for 30 francs. A temporary pass will be issued to you at the ticket office. You can use this until your new one arrives. You can also carry an electronic version of your travelcard using Swiss Pass Mobile.

Have we forgotten an important document here? Send us an email.

For members


What is not covered by Switzerland’s compulsory health insurance

Switzerland’s basic health insurance is among the most expensive in the world, but there are certain services it doesn’t pay for. Here are some of the benefits the scheme won’t cover in full.

What is not covered by Switzerland’s compulsory health insurance

Basic insurance — KVG in German and LaMal in French and Italian —  is compulsory in Switzerland. It doesn’t come cheap, but it is quite comprehensive and includes coverage for illness, medications, tests, maternity, physical therapy, preventive care, and many other treatments.

It also covers accidents for those who do not have accident insurance through their workplace.

Basically, whatever the doctor orders is covered by KVG / LaMal, at least partially.

READ MORE: Everything you need to know about health insurance in Switzerland

However, there are some treatments the basic insurance won’t pay for.

Experimental treatments

Any experimental treatments or drugs — that is, those not approved by the Swissmedic regulatory agency or the Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH) will not be covered.

This exclusion is not specifically Swiss; insurance schemes is most countries won’t cover unauthorised medical treatment either.

Dental care

In most cases, services such as teeth cleaning, dental fillings, root canals, tooth extractions, and orthodontic braces, are not included under basic insurance.

The only exceptions, according to the Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH), are dental interventions “necessitated by a serious disorder of the masticatory system, or if such treatment is required to support and ensure the success of medical treatment for a severe general disorder (e.g. leukaemia, heart-valve replacement)”.

Most dental treatments are not covered. Photo by Pixabay

Eyeglasses and contact lenses

Compulsory health insurance will contribute up to 180 francs per year towards glasses and contact lenses prescribed by an ophthalmologist for children up to the age of 18.

No such benefit exist for adults. However, “in the case of serious visual impairment or certain illnesses (e.g. disease-related refraction abnormalities, postoperative alterations or corneal disease), compulsory health insurance will, regardless of age, make higher contributions towards medically prescribed spectacle and contact lenses”, FOPH says.

READ MORE: Reader question: Can Swiss health insurance exclude me if I have pre-existing conditions?


Emergency vehicles that transport you to a hospital can be quite expensive — depending on the canton, the costs can range from 900 to 2,000 francs per trip. 

Basic health insurance will contribute a certain amount  to the cost of emergency transportation, but only if it is a medical necessity — a serious accident, an illness, or a life-threatening situation. But if the patient could have travelled by private car or public transport, basic health insurance policies will pay nothing.

Insurance will cover some of the cost of ambulance transport only in emergency. Photo by Fabrice COFFRINI / AFP

Private hospital room

While the cost of your hospitalisation will be fully covered, the basic insurance does not pay for a private room.

You will be accommodated in a room with other patients.

Depending on a medical facility — whether it’s a small hospital or a large, university medical centre, you could end up with just one other person or possibly four or five, the latter being common in teaching hospitals.

If you insist on a private accommodation, you will have to pay for it out of your own pocket.

Reader question: Can Swiss health insurance exclude me if I have pre-existing conditions?


Immunisations outlined by FOPH  will be paid for by insurance, as will the Covid vaccine.

Not covered, however, are travel-related vaccinations or preventive measures, such as against yellow fever or malaria.

Treatment abroad

Outside Switzerland, only emergency care is covered  — double the amount that the same treatment would cost in Switzerland.

Usually, basic health insurance will not cover transportation costs back to Switzerland, except in case of emergency, when it will cover 50 percent of the total cost of transportation to the nearest hospital abroad — but no more than 500 francs per year. 

If you only have a basic insurance policy and travel abroad often, especially to the United States, you should take out a travel insurance that will cover you for illness and accidents in foreign countries above and beyond what your Swiss carrier will pay.

And if you want to upgrade your treatment options, consider taking out a supplemental insurance or, if you can afford it, private one.

READ MORE: Should you buy supplemental health insurance in Switzerland?

You can find out more about what KVG / LaMal will and will not cover here.