UPDATED: Four cases of coronavirus confirmed in Switzerland

UPDATED: Four cases of coronavirus confirmed in Switzerland
Photo: FABRICE COFFRINI / AFP
Two new cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in the canton of the Grisons, added to one case in Geneva and Ticino.
The two new cases were reported on Thursday morning, with the patients put into quarantine. 
 
Earlier on Thursday, a 28-year-old man in the canton of Geneva become Switzerland’s second confirmed case of coronavirus. The man, who had recently travelled to Milan, received the positive confirmation early on Thursday morning. 
 

 
Once the diagnosis was made clear, 15 of the man’s friends and work colleagues were put in quarantine. 

 

Indicating the spread of the virus across Switzerland, there is another positive case in the central canton of Aargau, although the positive test is waiting a confirmation. 

The first positive case was detected in the southern canton of Ticino which borders the Italian region of Lombardy, which has become the centre of the outbreak in northern Italy. 

Update: Switzerland confirms first case of coronavirus

Coronavirus in Italy: Should Switzerland close its southern border?

Geneva watch expo cancelled over coronavirus

The organiser of Geneva's international expo of fine watches said Thursday it had decided to cancel the April event because of the spread of the new coronavirus. 

“In view of the latest developments concerning the worldwide spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus… the decision has been taken to cancel the upcoming edition of Watches and Wonders Geneva” said the Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie.

The Geneva event is a major trade show for the luxury watch industry and is particularly important for the many Switzerland-based makers of fine timepieces. 

China and the Asian region have become increasingly important in recent years for watchmakers as they have for other luxury goods manufacturers. 

China is at the centre of the coronavirus outbreak, and international airlines have scaled back flights to the region and many firms are cutting back travel by their employees. 

Other large international business gatherings, such as Europe's top mobile phone trade show in Barcelona, have been cancelled amid the outbreak, which has now killed over 2,700 people and infected some 78,000. 

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}
p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; min-height: 14.0px}

The Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie said “in order to protect the health and well-being of all our guests, press, partners and teams” it had decided that it should cancel the event, due to have taken place in Geneva from April 25th-29th.


Member comments

Become a Member to leave a comment.Or login here.