SHARE
COPY LINK

BARS

‘Help never comes’: How Swiss restaurant and bar owners have been left in despair

Switzerland’s food establishments have been closed since December 22nd and will remain shuttered until at least the end of February.

'Help never comes': How Swiss restaurant and bar owners have been left in despair
A sad sight: Restaurants in Switzerland remain closed. Photo by AFP

The government ordered the closures in an effort to curb the spread of coronavirus infections.

This is the second time since the beginning of the pandemic that bars and restaurants have had to close their doors for an extended period. Previously they had been out of business for three months last spring.

The extended closures have left these businesses in financial hardship, according to GastroSuisse, the association of hotel and restaurant owners in Switzerland.

In October, as a second wave of infections picked up steam, the organisation cautioned that 100,000 jobs were at risk.

Basing its findings on a survey it conducted among its 20,000 members, GastroSuisse noted that “nearly half of all establishments in the hotel and restaurant industry will go bankrupt by the end of March 2021 if they do not immediately receive financial compensation”.

To emphasise the gravity of the situation, GastroSuisse pointed out that before the crisis, “more than 80 percent of establishments had good or very good liquidity. In the space of a month, 80 percent of establishments found themselves in a very bad situation”.

In Geneva, Laurent Terlinchamp, president of the city's hospitality industry association, described  the dire circumstances he and others in the sector find themselves in.

“We wait for help which never comes, promises which are never kept, and the little help which does arrive is trivial,” he told Agence France-Presse.

He described his members as being in a state of “despair”, adding: “For 30 percent of them, which in Geneva is the equivalent of 600 businesses, it's already too late.”

READ MORE: Half of Swiss hotels, restaurants risk bankruptcy: employer group 

This sentiment is shared among other restaurant and bar owners throughout Switzerland.

Hundreds opened their establishments on January 11th in defiance against the restrictions. 

“I have to do something, otherwise my family will soon have nothing more to eat,” said a café owner from Basel.

Another restauranteur, Sascha Rettenmund, owner of Gentil’s Bar in Selznach, canton Solothurn, also said he re-opened his business because “soon I won't have anything to eat”.

While restaurants and other businesses quickly received financial support when Switzerland went into partial lockdown during the initial wave of infections, GastroSuisse has complained that support during subsequent closures has lagged.

The Federal Council has earmarked 2.5 billion francs to help businesses most affected by closings. However, often no money is paid out because the examination of the applications is a slow process.

“The key now is how quickly the hardship funds will flow”, the industry federation said in a statement. 

It added that 2.5 billion francs in aid is not enough to compensate the sector for all its losses, and the situation “continues to be alarming”.

READ MORE: Why are some restaurants in Switzerland re-opening despite the shutdown? 

 


 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

COVID-19

Switzerland’s Montreux Jazz Festival cancels concerts of unvaccinated British artists

Switzerland’s Montreux Jazz Festival announced on Friday that it was forced to drop the acts of four UK-based artists from its summer program because they haven’t been fully vaccinated yet.

Switzerland's Montreux Jazz Festival cancels concerts of unvaccinated British artists
British singer-songwriter Rag'n'Bone Man was dropped from Montreux Jazx Festival. Photo: GUILLAUME SOUVANT / AFP

The move was done in order to comply with current Covid-19 entry rules into Switzerland, which state that from June 26th, travellers from outside the Schengen zone, including Brits, will only be allowed to enter Switzerland if they have been fully vaccinated or have recovered from the virus. 

READ ALSO: Switzerland relaxes travel rules for vaccinated Americans and Brits: What you need to know

British soul singer Rag’n’Bone Man who was one of the headliners for the 2021 edition of the festival, which starts on July 2nd, will now no longer be able to attend due to not being fully vaccinated.

Other unvaccinated acts based in the UK who were also dropped because of the new entry rules include Inhaler, Alfa Mist and the Yussef Dayes Trio.

The artists have already been replaced with other performers from around Europe including Italian singer Zucchero, Woodkid, Dutch songwriter Benny Sings and Danish jazz trio Athletic Progression.

In a statement on June 25th, festival organisers said they were trying to make sure that the concerts of the other UK artists would continue to go ahead, however it is tricky because of fears over the Delta strain of the Covid virus, which has now become dominant in Britain.

“Whether or not these artists can come depends on their vaccination status and that of their touring entourage, as well as their ability to quarantine at the start of their European tour or before their concert at Montreux,” they said.

The Montreux Jazz Festival is one of just a small handful of big music festivals in Switzerland that will still go ahead this summer. Other music events such as St Gallen Open-Air, Paléo and Bern’s Gurten festival have been cancelled for the second year in a row, due to ongoing fears over the Covid-19 virus.

READ ALSO: UPDATE: What rules do European countries have for travellers from the UK?

SHOW COMMENTS