Taxes For Members

EXPLAINED: How to get an extension on your tax deadline in Switzerland

The Local Switzerland
The Local Switzerland - [email protected]
EXPLAINED: How to get an extension on your tax deadline in Switzerland
You can request tax extension from your canton. Photo by Claudio Schwartz / Unsplash

If you missed your tax deadline in Switzerland you could ask for an extension?


If your tax return is prepared by an accounting firm, they automatically file every year for extension for all their clients.

You should have received a confirmation letter or email from the firm to that effect.

But if you prepare your tax declaration yourself and you didn't meet the deadline, you must ask the tax authorities in your canton of residence for an extension.

These requests are almost always granted.

While in some places you will have to submit the request in writing, in most cases you can do so online.

How do you go about it?

This website has a window where you can insert your postal code. It then leads you to a cantonal site where there is a link which you can click to see how you can submit your request and what information you need to supply.

Each canton has its own rules, but in most cases you will have to include the bar code included with the tax paperwork your canton sent you.

Again, depending on your canton of residence, the extensions granted will vary.  Not only that, but more than one extension can be given if you have valid reasons for such a request — an illness or another serious impediment to filing your taxes on time.

In some cases, the canton will charge a fee (usually 20 francs) for requesting several delays.


Here’s the list of dates for the extensions for filing taxes:

April 30th: Neuchâtel

May 15th: Bern

May 31st: Appenzell-Ausserrhoden, Luzern, Schwyz, St. Gallen, Uri, and Valais.

June 30th: Aargau, Basel-Country, Fribourg, Nidwalden, Schaffhausen, Ticino, Vaud, and Zug.

July 31st: Geneva, Jura, and Solothurn.

September 30th: Zurich, Basel-City

To date, no general extension has been announced by Graubünden, Appenzell-Innerrhoden, Thurgau, Glarus, and Obwalden.

You can contact these cantons directly.

Keep in mind that these rules apply only to permanent residents.

Non-residents and cross-border workers have their taxes deducted directly from their payroll each month, a system called taxation at source, or withholding tax.



Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also