Swiss mineral water pulled after solvent found
Swiss authorities have ordered all mineral water produced by San Andrea pulled off the shelves after the solvent butanone was discovered in two bottles, officials said on Tuesday.
"The reason for the recall of the merchandise is the discovery of butanone in two two-litre bottles," the Federal Health Office said in a statement, adding that bottles of both still and sparkling water were being pulled.
The statement said that the colourless product causes "an unpleasant smell of solvent as soon as the bottle is opened."
"For reasons of security and to avoid any health risk, (the Swiss distributor) Denner is asking its clients not to consume San Andrea water," it said.
Butanone has been known to cause nausea and headaches.