SHARE
COPY LINK

RUSSIA

Ukraine killings near 1,000 since truce: UN

Nearly 1,000 people have been killed in conflict-torn Ukraine since a tattered truce was signed in September while the number of people displaced has nearly doubled, the United Nations said in Geneva on Thursday.

On average 13 people have been killed each day during the first eight weeks of the September 5 ceasefire, with a total of 957 deaths recorded up to November 18th, the UN rights agency said.
   
The number of people registered as displaced within Ukraine soared from 275,489 in mid-September to 466,829 on Wednesday, it added.
   
"The list of victims keeps growing. Civilians, including women, children, minorities and a range of vulnerable individuals and groups continue to suffer the consequences of the political stalemate in Ukraine," UN rights chief Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein said in a statement.
   
Counting the 298 people who died in the downing of Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 over Ukraine in July, the overall toll since mid-April stands at 4,317 deaths as of Tuesday, the UN rights office said.
   
Nearly 1,200 of those killed were Ukrainian troops, while more than 1,700 civilians and members of armed groups had been killed in Donetsk, including 22 children, and more than 850 civilians and rebels had been killed in Lugansk, including 14 children, the report said.

In all, 9,921 have been injured in the conflict-hit area of eastern Ukraine, the report said.
   
This is "a conservative estimate", the report said, adding that "the actual number of fatalities may be much higher."

In their seventh report, the 35-strong UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine described "the total breakdown of law and order."

They warned that an influx of sophisticated weapons and foreign fighters, including Russian troops, was having a devastating impact on the human rights situation in the country.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

UKRAINE

Shareholder group urges Switzerland’s Nestle to halt all Russia business

Nestle must halt all its activities in Russia, the Actares shareholder organisation said Monday, ramping up the pressure after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky singled out the Swiss food giant.

Shareholder group urges Switzerland's Nestle to halt all Russia business

Nestle has suspended all its imports and exports to Russia, including Nespresso coffee pods and S.Pellegrino bottled water, but has maintained deliveries of vital products such as baby food.

In a speech live-streamed to a rally outside the Swiss federal parliament in Bern on Saturday, Zelensky urged Swiss companies to cease doing business in Russia, picking out Nestle, and condemned firms that carried on regardless despite the siege of Mariupol.

“Actares — shareholding for a more responsible economy — urges Nestle to consider President Zelensky’s call in the Federal Square to stop doing business with Russia!”, the group, one of Switzerland’s top shareholders’ associations, said in a statement.

Nestle insisted Sunday that it was not making any profits in Russia, winding down many of the firm’s activities in the country following the Kremlin-ordered invasion of neighbouring Ukraine on February 24.

READ MORE: Ukraine’s Zelensky blasts Swiss banks in address to Bern rally

“We have stopped all our investments there and have ceased all our advertising activities,” a spokeswoman told AFP. “We do not make any profit from our remaining operations in Russia.

“We are doing everything possible in Ukraine and neighbouring countries to help alleviate this humanitarian catastrophe.”

Several US multinationals have withdrawn from Russia, like the fast food chain McDonald’s and the beverage giants Coca-Cola and Pepsi.

Nestle has been the subject of a call for a boycott circulating on social media networks.

On Monday, Zelensky called on European leaders to cease all trade with Russia in an effort to pressure Moscow to halt its nearly month-long military assault on Ukraine.

SHOW COMMENTS