Take care around fireworks, Swiss told

The Local
The Local - [email protected]
Take care around fireworks, Swiss told

Fireworks cause 250 accidents a year in Switzerland – half of them on August 1st, Swiss National Day.


That’s according to the Swiss Council for Accident Prevention (bfu) that warned of the dangers in a media release ahead of the holiday that is traditionally celebrated with fireworks displays.

Between 2010 and 2014 two people lost their lives and five were disabled as a result of firework accidents.

Around 40 percent of accidents involve burns – mainly to the hands and feet.

A simple sparkler can reach a temperature of 400 degrees.

Men are much more likely than women to suffer an injury, and young people form the biggest group of casualties, with 37 percent of victims being aged 20 to 30.

Half of all accidents occur around August 1st, with a further 20 percent of injuries sustained during New Year celebrations.

The bfu advises consumers to ask for advice when buying fireworks, to store them in a cool place, to make sure they are placed on a stable base and to maintain a safe distance.

There should be no smoking in the vicinity of fireworks and they should be kept away from children.

Water should be poured on used fireworks before they are disposed of, and a bucket of water and fire extinguisher should be on hand in case of need.

According to the Swiss animal protection organization STS, pets should be kept indoors during displays and windows and shutters kept closed.


Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also