On Tuesday March 5th The Local Switzerland followed in the footsteps of our sister sites around Europe by asking regular readers to become paying Members.
What does that mean?
It means that we are now asking readers to pay a small contribution either each month or annually to become a member.
What does that get me?
In short membership gets you this:
- Access to an unlimited number of articles on the site
- Exclusive features just for members on all kinds of subjects to help explain Switzerland and life in the country
- Improved coverage - with a freelance budget we aim to improve our coverage and get more voices on the site
- As a member you'll be able to comment on all articles from now on
- Fewer adverts - as a member you'll see less advertising on our articles
- Unlimited access to all our other news sites around Europe
- Special newsletters just for members
What else will my money go towards?
Our primary aim is to continue to grow in an increasingly tough media landscape and your contribution will help us not have to rely on advertising revenue in future. That will help us improve what we write about and will make us more accountable to readers rather than advertisers.
As members, we will be asking for your views and seeking your contributions on a regular basis. In short, we want you to get involved.
How much does it cost?
From today, you can join The Local Switzerland by taking advantage of our "Early Bird" offer before it runs out.
The offer, which gives you 30 percent off the price of annual membership, means loyal readers have the chance to join at a cheaper rate before we introduce the paywall on Tuesday March 5th. The special offer is time limited.
With the offer, if you are in Switzerland you can sign up today for CHF34.99, rather than the normal annual price of CHF49.99.
If you are are outside Switzerland you can pay €34.99 for the first year of annual Membership instead of €49.99. Please note, if you are in the US or the UK the money will be paid in your local currency.
You can also join and pay a monthly rate and effectively get the first month free.
Your support is much appreciated.
Please explain why you are introducing a paywall again?
If you want to know about why are taking this step then you can read this article. An important factor is that advertising alone is no longer enough to survive in the ruthless modern media industry.