Driving For Members

EXPLAINED: How to change over to a Swiss driver's licence

The Local
The Local - [email protected]
EXPLAINED: How to change over to a Swiss driver's licence
A car before the Hotel-Restaurant Belvédère in Wallis, Switzerland. Photo by Dave Ruck on Unsplash

Moving to Switzerland or already here and want to change your driving licence? Here are the rules.


As with most countries, Switzerland has reciprocal arrangements with other nations regarding drivers' licences. 

This means that you can quickly and easily swap over your licence once you arrive, rather than going through the process of getting a Swiss one from scratch. 

To do so, you’ll need to comply with certain rules and swap it over in a limited time frame. 

One year to make the change

Once you arrive in Switzerland, you’ll have one year in which you can drive on your old licence before you need to swap it over. 

This is good news for tourists or anyone who plans to stay less than a year, as they will be allowed to drive on their home country licence in this time. 

READ: A petrolhead's guide to driving Swiss mountain roads 

Anyone driving longer than a year on a licence from another country will be deemed to be driving without a valid licence and will therefore be subject to certain penalties. 

In some cases, it may require you to complete a new driving test in your canton of residence. 

Your date of arrival is recorded in your Swiss residence permit - so waste no time in trying to make the change. 

Note: While some of our readers have told us that they have had no trouble changing over their licence several years after arriving, the official rule states that the change must be made after a year - so as with everything else in Switzerland, it’s likely to depend on how rule abiding the administrators are in your cantonal municipality. 


What happens when I change my licence to Swiss? 

Unfortunately, you are not allowed to keep your old licence.

If possible you should make a copy, although keep in mind that Swiss authorities will send your licence back to the country of its issue. 

READ: Why now is a good time to buy a car in Switzerland

What information do I need to change my licence?

Besides your existing licence, you will also need a number of other documents to make the change. 

First, you’ll need your cantonal application form, which you can find here.  

You’ll also need a copy of your residence permit, along with your residence certificate (if appropriate). 

Bring with you a colour passport photo which compiles with the relevant requirements, along with a certificate from an ophthalmologist. These certificates cost approximately CHF20. 

While the above applies in the event of a standard licence, a medical certificate will be required for anyone applying for a licence in driving licence classes C1, C, D, D1 or BPT and for class 3. 

Finally, you’ll need to pay a fee. This varies from canton to canton but is likely to be between CHF80 and CHF140. 

Which countries apply?

All arrivals from European and EFTA countries can change their licence simply by complying with the above steps and will not have to take an additional practical or theoretical test. 

The same applies to arrivals from Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, Korea (Republic), Morocco, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino, Singapore, Tunisia and the United States. 



Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also